November 11 @ 8:30 am – 9:00 pm
**Registration is closed for 2023.** If you have any questions or are interested in attending, please reach out to Megan Rentel.
Equip Day this year will happen on the same weekend as the end of our “Awake” sermon series. We will have many equipping classes as usual on a variety of topics to help you grow in your love and knowledge of Christ. This year, we are adding a special afternoon focus on technology to coincide with the end of the series. The way that we engage with technology as believers is an inevitable part of our existence, so we will devote the last session of the day exclusively to classes about technology.
Additionally, we are hosting a panel discussion on Saturday night with various members of our body who are living and working in various aspects of the tech space; education, artificial intelligence, software development, and design. The hope is to have a fruitful Q&A session that equips us in greater ways to wisely engage in our world.
As always on Equip Day you can join for just a class or two, just for the panel discussion, or spend the whole day learning alongside the rest of the body. It’s free to register, and the details are below.
Session One (9:00am – 10:30am)
- Financial Foundations – Brian Creencia
- Let’s take a very practical look at God-honoring personal finance practices emphasizing budgeting and generosity. We will also touch on ways to prepare for the unexpected and debt management.
- Let’s Have a Conversation – Andrew Overmiller/Danya Elliott
- This class will help you learn how to share the Gospel in everyday conversations with your co-workers, friends, and neighbors.
- The Wounded Heart – Christine Davis/Emily Chase
- *WOMEN ONLY* – For women who have experienced sexual abuse and for women who love and care for them. Learn how you are not alone, how God loves you, and how you can move forward on your healing journey.
- Marriage 201 – Dave and Emily Young
- Taking marriage to the next level. Going from surviving to thriving. Identifying and eliminating idols that sneak into and destroy marriages.
- The Gift and Challenges of Singleness – Blue Willis/Tian Guo
- There is much discussion in the church about the gift of marriage – and there should be! – but not as much on singleness, which Paul the Apostle would also call a gift of God. We will discuss the challenges of being a single man or woman in the church, the temptations that come along with it, and seek to understand what God would call us to as we seek to walk in singleness to the glory of God.
Session Two (10:45am – 12:15pm)
- Financial Planning – John Kuddes
- What all ages should know about the best alternatives to save, GROW, protect and preserve what you earn or inherit; and how to achieve charitable self actualization as you are blessed to be a blessing. Realities that the financial advisory world does not tell you about how to be the stewards rewarded in the Parable of the Talents.
- Habits, Addictions and Hope – Nick Cistola
- God designed humans to be habitual beings. Yet, some of the biggest struggles in our lives and the lives of our loved ones are addictions and destructive habits. In this class we will unpack some of how the Lord talks about addictive struggles and how the gospel practically meets us in our addictions.
- Sacred Stewardship: Raising Young Children in Faith – Drew and Anna Yancey
- Parenting is one of the most challenging yet rewarding roles we can undertake, and the early years are especially pivotal in shaping a child’s faith journey. By attending this class, parents will be equipped with a deeper understanding of God’s vision for children, as well as effective strategies to integrate faith into everyday parenting moments. Whether you’re a first-time parent, a grandparent, or simply someone invested in the spiritual upbringing of children, this class will empower you to be the spiritual guardian your child needs.
- Parenting Teens – Kevin and Susan Wolfe
- Sharpen your vision for parenting teenagers through these critical years as you gain practical tools for shepherding your teen’s heart.
- The Gospel Story in a Time of Culture Wars – Aaron LeDuc
- Culture wars over world views, politics, and even our sexuality seem to claim every aspect of our lives, and another story is needed. This session will explore how cultural narratives have begun to intertwine with our identities leading to isolation and exhaustion. Then we will see how the Gospel differs from the stories our world tells us, and how it ultimately answers the longings that are being held captive by our culture.
Session Three (1:30pm – 3:00pm)
- Cultivating Biblical Friendships – Karla LeDuc/Kim Martin
- *WOMEN ONLY* – Biblical friendship is one of the greatest gifts of life. But in our busy, confused and mobile world, we’ve lost this rich view of friendship and have instead settled for halfhearted & lukewarm connections. Come learn about God’s design for biblical friendship for women in the church and what it really looks like in practice.
- Life Planning – John Kuddes
- What all ages should know about: Documenting, Titling, Organizing and Preserving your assets during life; and, how to properly prepare for incapacity and death through the use of Powers of Attorney, Living Wills, Trusts, Wills, Beneficiary Designations, and Transfer on Death Designations.
- The Experience of Guilt as a Christian – Nick Cistola
- We sing regularly how the gospel frees us of all guilt, yet often guilt can be a major struggle in the life of a Christian. This class covers key biblical teaching with some practical tools on how to work through the feeling of guilt as a Christian.
- Parenting in a Digital Age – Aaron LeDuc
- Are you trying to discern how to parent your children in this digital age? How do we help our kids rightly engage with technology in a way that will lead to their greatest flourishing? Learn how to navigate the challenges (and opportunities) of technology with wisdom and purpose. This class will primarily focus on children in middle school and younger.
Session Four (3:15pm-4:45pm) – Technology Focus
- Digital Discipleship: Bible Study in the Tech Age – Drew Yancey
- In today’s fast-paced digital landscape, the tools we have at our fingertips can transform how we engage with the Bible. If you’ve ever felt overwhelmed by the sheer volume of Bible study resources or unsure of how to navigate the vast world of digital faith tools, this class is for you. “Digital Discipleship” provides not only an understanding of the latest technology but also hands-on guidance to utilize these tools effectively. Whether you’re tech-savvy or just beginning your digital journey, this class will equip you with fresh, modern methods to deepen your relationship with the scriptures and foster a vibrant, tech-enhanced spiritual life.
- Are These Tomatoes Rotten? – Aaron LeDuc
- As Christians we are aware of the benefit, as well as challenges and temptations, of online content. However, we often lack the ability to discern what is worthy of engagement and what should be avoided. We also often lack the discipline that’s needed to make wise choices. This session will give you tools to wisely discern the aesthetic value of movies, music, shows, and more, as well as motivate you to make those decisions courageously.
- The Battle for Our Eyes – Phil Neal/Krista Chacko
- Understanding how tech companies keep us engaged, even when we want to unplug. “Doom scrolling”. “Click bait”. Easy to identify, hard to resist. In this class we’ll dig under the hood of popular apps and services to understand how software designers are able to reel us back day after day, then use that insight to shift our affections back to Christ and His promises.
- Artificial Intelligence: Overview & Implications for Christ’s Followers – Josh Elgard/Garrett Idler
- Artificial Intelligence (AI) is increasingly shaping our world, prompting us to consider its implications for culture, economy, governance, and more. We will explore questions like: What is AI? How is it impacting our world? What might the future hold? How should Christians think about AI?
Technology Panel (7pm-9pm) – childcare available (registration required)
Even if you didn’t get a chance to register for Equip Day classes, you can still join us for the panel from 7-9pm. Everyone will be able to submit questions and hear from the four people below who are experts in their fields. We hope this is an educational time that draws us closer to the Lord!